Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My "NOT-TO-DO LIST"

I saw THIS POST today and really liked it, and of course, it got me thinking:

What is on MY "NOT-TO-DO LIST"? I think that it is important that I have this list to keep me focused and peaceful in the midst of this wonderful season.

SO.... the start of my list....

-I will not buy more than three gifts for each of my children (even though I am tempted).
-I "finished" Christmas cards last week. I will not feel guilty when I get a card from someone that didn't receive one from us in their mailbox this year and rush around trying to figure out something to send since we are out of cards.
-As much as I love baking and giving goodies to others, I won't be spending that time in my kitchen this year to bake up goodies for Scott's wonderful coworkers, our neighbors, friends, and family. It doesn't mean that I don't love them. I really, really do. It just means that I am trying to de-stress a bit and would rather love on my kiddos during this season (and attempt to not be the Grinch to them.... which often occurs when I am trying to bake 20 loaves of bread with them under foot and when running to the grocery stores to grab the supplies that I forgot. Besides, since I am living in a fairly constant "pregnancy fog" these days, I'm afraid I would forget some ingredients, and the yummies would flop anyway! HA!)
-I will leave numerous decor items in the rubbermaids in the name of simplicity (actually, I left a few boxes full of things this year). "Doing Christmas" in a small apartment last year altered my perspective on decorating a bit.
-I am thrilled that we ARE spending the entire Christmas Day at home, just the five of us. However, I am NOT cooking that day. My friend, Sheri, mentioned to me that she never cooks on Christmas Day. I really, really like the idea of that! :)

So, how about you? What is on your "NOT-TO-DO LIST"???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I read the post too and was so inspired to do the same. Thanks for sharing your NOT TO DO LIST and being honest with it especially when it came to not feeling guilty about the cards and about skipping the baking. I all too often do things out of guilt and now that I am a new mom of a 6 month old I am learning that I have to get over that because my time with my baby is so much more valuable. I think every mom should have a list like this not just for Christmas or other holidays, but for weekends and even weekdays. It frees u up to do the things that are most meaningful to you and are a priority.

Anonymous said...

Reading your post was great! Most of the things on your list are things on mine as well. I have felt a little guilty of the fact I haven't baked anything for the neighbors, haven't sent out cards, haven't decorated the house as much as before, etc. And although I don't have any little ones under toe yet this pregnancy does zap the engery like crazy, wasn't expecting that, lol. I'm enjoying the time with Bobbie and friends as well verses running around with no sleep trying to concur the Christmas world. :)

Britt

Pat Hinen said...

Love it Deanna! I have learned over the years that you can't be the best everything during the holidays (or anytime)! We left several boxes full of decorations, and it hasn't changed the way I feel about Christmas...and it won't change the way we interact with our kids and grand kids while they are here, huh. I try to simplify a little more each year and it becomes more joyous each year, even if it isn't "perfect".

Pat

Janna O said...

What if my list includes not doing laundry, not cooking all week, not showering til just before Chad gets home from work, not caring if the kids clean their rooms...

I'm just kidding. Thank you for this post friend! On my real list, I need to put things like not spending all morning on facebook, not caring if the table is covered with glitter paint and playdoh, not being in so much of a hurry that I don't let the kids help cook and bake...

Harrell Hijinks said...

ok, i TOTALLY! stole your post!! just so you know:)

love you/love you/love you! for this idea